Shrimps are always easily loved by everyone. My first time trying shrimp wasn’t really good. I honestly hated them to the extent of puking out my first bite. I was 8 years old and we visited some family friends in Mumbai [Bombay then]. The family invited us for dinner and one of the dishes they cooked was Shrimp curry. I still remember that the flavor of the curry was mild and I didn’t like it one bit and promised never to have it again.
My second time was after I was in my early twenties and I visited Mumbai again with my parents and my father took me to this small restaurant somewhere in Juhu. My father ordered a dish called Tandoori shrimp and Oh my God!!! I cannot thank my Late father enough to make me try that. It just washed away all the memories of my first time and I was in love with shrimps. Before all this let me tell you that my hometown Jodhpur barely has any fresh seafood and Shrimp is out of the picture altogether, even to date. So, I never tried anything in my hometown ever.
Once married, I came to the USA and being Muslims, we only consumed halal food or sea food. With seafood, Shrimps were my favorite and after some time, I started trying different recipes with Shrimps at home. Initially, it was Pasta using Shrimps or sandwiches or rolls and wraps and soon, I got down to curries and kebabs.
This recipe is using Andhra style of cooking which makes it spicy, crispy and delicious. I used loads of curry leaves, mustard seeds, Red chilies and various other spices. This dish is easy to make and goes great as side dish with simple food like Daal Chawal.
- 1 Lb Large Shrimps Fresh/ Frozen
- 2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Tandoori Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2-3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/4 cup curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2-3 No. Dry Red whole chilies
- 1 tbsp Kasoori methi
- 2 tbsp garlic chopped or mashed
- 1/2 cup Onions chopped
- 5-6 No. Green chilies slit
- 1/4 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- These shrimps are amazingly delicious.
- These can be served as an appetizer and also as a side dish.
- Wash and clean the shrimps. Once thaw [ I am using frozen ones] take the tails off. If you are using fresh, just take the tails off.
- Add Ginger garlic paste, Tandoori powder, Red chili powder, salt, turmeric powder, and Lemon juice to the shrimps.
- Mix everything well and keep the Shrimps marinated for 20-30 minutes.
- Add a teaspoon of oil to a pan and cook for 5 minutes. Take them out and keep them aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, and curry leaves. Let them splutter.
- Add the red chilies and garlic.
- Add the Kasoori methi and mix well.
- Add the roughly chopped onions. Saute till they are soft.
- Add the green chilies.
- Add the Shrimps.
- Add the coriander powder, cumin powder, and fennel powder
- Mix everything well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.